Tuesday, April 5, 2011

TU interview with John Patrick Shanley

Elizabeth Mair's interview with John Patrick Shanley, who visits the Writers Institute on Wednesday April 6, appeared in Sunday's Times Union.

Picture: Shanley with Meryl Streep at a screening party for Doubt at the Motion Pictures Academy.


Mair /Times Union: You've said that your childhood in the Bronx involved "constant fistfights." Why was that?


A: It was an Irish and Italian neighborhood -- probably more Irish than Italian -- and the Irish like to fight.


Q: Yourself included?


A: I was in fistfights from the time that I was 6 years old. Usually a couple of times a week. It was like a job.


Q: What would you fight for?


A: I was fighting to defend myself, for the most part. I didn't start spontaneously hitting people until later. Until I was about 15, I had to be hit first.


Q: In your Oscar acceptance for "Moonstruck," you thanked all the people who had ever punched or kissed you --


A: "Everybody who ever punched me or kissed me, and everybody who I ever punched or kissed."


Q: I understand the kiss part, but why the punch part?


A: Well, it's contact. It's somebody reaching out to you -- or for you. And it's a form of sincerity. More.