Monday, October 24, 2011

A Poem About Dyslexia

Pulitzer Prize winning poet Philip Schultz, author of a new memoir about his own dyslexia, will visit the Writers Institute tomorrow, Tuesday, October 25, 2011.

Jeffrey Brown interviewed Schultz about the memoir, My Dyslexia (2011), on the PBS NewsHour with Jim Lehrer earlier this month. Schultz also presented a new poem inspired by his dyslexia:

"They could say what they liked, imitate the way I stuttered the morning pledge mashed the alphabet, ask how many chickens one plus three made, why my brain sat in the corner in a class of one, refused to read or write, was nailed to my tongue, just as long as they understand that some with my fist would be kissed, yanked off bikes by their hair, their eyeballs, thumbs scrubbed, faces autographed by sidewalks, that under no circumstance would they ever make me cry." More.