Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Stuck Upside Down in a Septic Tank

Inspired (or frustrated) by Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie, Shalom Auslander travels to Iowa to meet an elderly man who spent Christmas Eve stuck upside down in a septic tank. He hopes the man (like Albom's Morrie) will be able to offer him some spiritual advice, and serve as a mentor or guru for Auslander, but things turn out differently.

Auslander visits this coming Thursday, March 1st.

The interview appears in GQ:

"I have something of a negative view of the world. People suck, sure, but that’s just the beginning; call it Fate, call it God, call it Chance—I call it life, with a capital Crappy. Of course my best friend’s cancer has returned. Of course my incontinent dog pees on my couch. Of course my new car is lousy in the snow and of course it snows three feet the day I pick it up from the dealer and of course it gets stuck in a ditch and of course it’s now making a weird engine noise and of course the dealer says it’s not covered." More.